Monday, November 14, 2011

Motivations to Run

Looking back on the fitness goals that I have set for myself over the past 5 years, one of my most proud moments was turning myself into a runner. I was always one of those people who did not think they could run. I was plagued with a large chest that made it uncomfortable to run even more than a kilometer. After reaching a certain stage in my weightloss goal, I decided to give running a serious try. Alternating running and walking, I was determined to turn myself into a runner, one way or another. 

Armed with an up-tempo playlist, new running shoes and a supportive bra (Lululemon Tatatamer) I set our to conquer my goal of running 5km.

I have to say that nothing felt better than crossing the finish line of my first 5km race. I learned that I could do anything that I put my mind to.



I look back at this picture and at that point in my life I was in the best shape to date. Now, more than a year later and I compare where I was then to where I am now. 15 lbs lighter, stronger and faster. I realize there is always a new goal to be set in the world of fitness, no matter how small or how big. I am now working on getting faster and running for longer. My goal is to run in a 10km race this spring and maybe even a half marathon by fall. 

How will I get there? Slowly and surely, setting small goals along the way. I have started using Nike+ to track my pace and distance and I was actually surprised at how fast I am running compared to 6 months ago. Seeing improvements is what motivates me to continue. I have also been stealing my neighbours dog to use as my training partner. It is somehow more motivating when you know you are also helping an animal get exercise as well as yourself. It's also kind of hard to stop/slow down when you have a hyperactive black lab tearing full speed ahead!

No comments:

Post a Comment