Tuesday, November 29, 2011

APP REVIEW: Tabata Pro - Tabata Timer


For those of you who are not familiar with Tabata, you may be wondering what the heck this App is for, and why would anyone want it...

Tabata is a principle of training that revolves around the theory of a work/rest ratio of 2:1 - usually 20 seconds of work with 10 seconds of rest for 8 sets.

Learn more about the Tabata protocol HERE and HERE

Although this principle can be applied to almost every form of training, I have started to use it as a part of my cycling classes, to coach sprinting intervals. (Which you may have noticed in my class plans)

I was recommended this app through a fellow instructor who uses it to keep track of the tabata sets in a class. At one of the gyms that I teach at, currently the mic is out being repaired, which makes it very hard to teach a spin class, especially at a high intensity when you want loud music and have to yell over it. I used this app for the first time in my class yesterday. Even though I had my ipod plugged in with my music, the sounds from the app still worked to let the class know when to work/rest. I also turned the ipod around so that the participants could see the green/red screens flashing to also queue when to work and rest. Overall, I think it worked great, it was something new and let me save my breath and participate in the tabata set as well. Check out a screen shot of the app below.

No comments:

Post a Comment